Click on graphic to link to the IDMH Department page
- Reference Books
This is a selective list of reference books (Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, and Handbooks) relevant to the study of Disaster Studies, available in the Reference Stacks at the Sojourner Truth Library. Search the STL Catalog to locate additional books that offer more in-depth information about specific topics relating to Disaster Studies.
- Encyclopedia of Earthquakes and Volcanoes. New York : Facts on File, 2001.
[REF QE521 .R58 2001]
- Encyclopedia of Plagues and Pestilence. New York : Facts on File, 2001.
[REF RA649 .E53 2001]
- Hurricanes : a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA : ABC-CLIO, 2006.
[REF QC944 .F58 2006]
- International Encyclopedia of Environmental Politics. London ; New York : Routledge, 2002.
[REF GE170 .I55 2002]
- Natural Disasters. Pasadena, CA : Salem Press, 2001. [REF GB5014 .N373 2001]
- Natural Disasters : Floods : a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA : ABC-CLIO, 2000.
[REF GB1399.3 .M56 2000]
- Pollution A to Z. New York : Macmillan Reference USA, 2004. [REF TD173 .P65 2004]
- When Technology Fails : Significant Technological Disasters, Accidents, and Failures of the
Twentieth Century. Detroit, MI : Gale Research, 1994. [REF TA169.5 .W44 1994]
- Basic Documents on Human Rights. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1981. [REF K3238 .A1 B761981]
- Dictionary of International Human Rights Law. Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 1996.
[REF K3239.3 .G53 1996]
- Human Rights : the Essential Reference. Phoenix, Ariz. : Oryx Press, 1999.
[REF K3240.4 .H847 1999]
- Human Rights : a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA : ABC-CLIO, 1998.
[REF K3240.4 .W46 1998]
- Human Rights Worldwide : a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA : ABC-CLIO, 2006
[REF JC571 .K23 2006]
- International Encyclopedia of Human Rights : Freedoms, Abuses, and Remedies. Washington,
DC : CQ Press, 2000[REF JC571 .M3243 2000]
- International Law: a Dictionary. Lanham, MD : Scarecrow Press, 2005. [REF KZ1161 .B63 2005]
- Minority Rights in America. Washington, DC : CQ Press, 2002. [REF JC599 .U5 A93 2002]
POLITICS & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
- Dictionary of Modern Politics. London: Europa Publications,2002. [REF JA61 .R63 2002]
- Encyclopedia of American Foreign Policy. New York : Scribner, 2002. [REF E183.7 .E52 2002]
- Encyclopedia of Government and Politics. New York : Routledge, 1992. [REF JA61 .C66 1992]
- Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy. New York: Facts on File, 2004.
[REF JK9 .E526 2004]
- The Europa Year Book. London, Europa Publications. [REF DESK JN1 .E85]
- Encyclopedia of World Poverty. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2006.
[REF HV12 .E54 2006]
- Poverty in the United States: an Encyclopedia of History, Politics, and Policy. Santa Barbara,
CA : ABC CLIO, 2004. [REF HC110 .P6 P58 2004]
- World Poverty: a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2004.
[REF HC59.72 .P6 G53 2004]
PSYCHOLOGY & MENTAL HEALTH
- Concise Encyclopedia of Pain Psychology. : Binghamton, NY : Haworth Medical Press, 2005.
[REF RB127 .F55 2005]
- Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology and Behavioral Science. New York : Wiley, 2001.
[REF BF31 .E52 2001]
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders:DSM-IV.
[REF OFFICE RC455.2 .LC4 D536 2000]
- Encyclopedia of Behavior Modification and Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Thousand Oaks, CA:
Sage Publications, 2005.[REF RC489 .B4 485 2005]
- Encyclopedia of Phobias, Fears, and Anxieties. New York : Facts on File, 1989.
[REF RC535 .D63 1989]
- Encyclopedia of Psychology. Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, 2000.
[REF BF31 .E52 2000]
- Encyclopedia of Stress and Stress-Related Diseases. New York : Facts on File, 2006.
[REF QP82.2 .S8 K34 2006]
- Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders. Detroit, MI: Gale Group, 2003. [REF RC437 .G35 2003]
- Glossary of Cognitive Science. New York : Paragon House, 1993. [REF BF311 .D84 1993]
- Handbook of Girl's and Women's Psychological Health. New York: Oxford University Press,
2006.[REF HQ1206 .H2383 2006]
- Handbook of Child Psychology. New York : J. Wiley, 1998.[ REF BF721 .H242 1998]
- Handbook of Pediatric Psychology. New York : Guilford Press, 2003.[REF RJ47.5 .H38 2003]
- Handbook of Psychology. New York : Wiley, 2003. [REF BF121 .H1955 2003]
- International Dictionary of Psychology. New York : Crossroads Publishing,1996.
[REF BF31 .S83 1996]
- International Handbook of Cognitive and Behavioral Treatments for Psychological Disorders.
Oxford : Pergamon, 1998. [REF RC489 .C63 I58 1998]
- The MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences. Cambridge, MA : MIT Press, 1999.
[REF BF311 .M556 1999]
RACE & ETHNIC RELATIONS
- Dictionary of Race and Ethnic Relations. London : Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1996.
[REF GN496 .C37 1996]
- Encyclopedia of the World's Minorities. New York : Routledge, 2005. [REF GN495.4 .E63 2005]
- Multiracial America : a Resource Guide on the History and Literature of Interracial Issues.
Lanham, MD : Scarecrow Press, 2005. [REF E184 .A1 M86 2005]
- World Directory of Minorities. Chicago & London : St. James Press, 1989.
[REF HM201.W67 1989]
RECOVERY & RESPONSE
- Community Preparedness and Response to Terrorism. Westport, CT : Praeger, 2005.
[REF HV6432 .C654 2005]
- Infectious Diseases Sourcebook. Detriot, MI : Omnigraphics, 2004. [REF RA643 .I6545 2004]
- PDR Guide to Biological and Chemical Response. Montvale, NJ : Thomson PDR, 2002.
[REF RA 648 P374 2002]
- PDR Guide to Terrorism Response. Montvale, NJ : Thomson PDR, 2005.
[REF RA645.5 .B289 2005]
REFUGEE & DISASTER RELIEF
- Encyclopedia of Associations. International Organizations. Part 2. pages 1652, and 1763 - 1789.
Detroit, MI : Gale Research. [REF DESK AS8 .E53]
- Encyclopedia of Associations. Volume 1. pages 1420-1421, and 1507-1515. Detroit, MI : Gale
Research. [REF DESK HS17 .G334 ]
- Refugees in America in the 1990s : a Reference Handbook. Westport, CT : Greenwood Press,
1996. [REF HV640.4 .U54 R425 1996]
- The State of the World's Refugees, 2000 : Fifty Years of Humanitarian Action. Geneva : UNHCR ;
New York : Oxford University Press, 2000.[REF HV640 .S677 2000]
- U.S. Immigration : a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA : ABC-CLIO, 2004.
[REF JV6483 .L46 2004]
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social Work. Malden, MA : Blackwell, 2000. [REF HV12 .B53 2000]
- About Children: an Authoritative Resource on the State of Childhood Today. Elk Grove Village, IL :
American Academy of Pediatrics, 2005. [REF HQ792 .U5 A515 2005]
- Social Workers' Desk Reference. New York : Oxford University Press, 2002.
[REF HV40 .S6464 2002]
- Encyclopedia of Bioterrorism Defense. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-LISS, 2005.
[REF HV6433.3 .E53 2005]
- Historical Dictionary of Terrorism. Lanham, MD : Scarecrow Press, 2002
[REF HV6431 .A537 2002]
- Encyclopedia of Terrorism. Thousand Oaks, CA. : Sage Publications, 2003.
[REF HV6431 .K883 2003]
- Talking terrorism : a dictionary of the Loaded Language of Political Violence. Westport, CT :
Greenwood Press, 2003. [REF HV6431 .H455 2003]
- Terrorism: a Documentary and Reference Guide. Westport, CT : Greenwood Press, 2005
[REF HV6432 .B87 2005]
- Terrorism: a Documentary History. Washington, DC : CQ Press, 2003. [REF HV6431 .T4594]
- Terrorism: Essential Primary Sources. Detroit, MI : Thomson Gale, 2006.
[REF HV6431 .T465 2006]
- U.S. Homeland Security: a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA. ABC-CLIO, 2005
[REF HV6432.4 .B35 2005]
- World at Risk : a Global Issues Sourcebook. Washington, DC : CQ Press, a division of
Congressional Quarterly Inc., 2002. [REF JZ1242 .W67 2002]
TRANSCULTURAL COMMUNICATION & CARE
- Caring for Women Cross-Culturally. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 2003. [REF GT95 .C37 2003]
- CultureGrams (World edition)Orem, UT: Axiom Press, 2002- [REF GT150 .C85]
- Dictionary of Multicultural Psychology: Issues, Terms, and Concepts. Thousand Oaks, CA:
Sage, c2005. [REF GN502 .H336 2005]
- Encyclopedia of Cultural Anthropology. New York: Henry Holt and Co., 1996.
[REF GN307 .E52 1996]
- Encyclopedia of Social and Cultural Anthropology. New York: Routledge, 1996.
[REF GN307 .E527 1996]
- Gestures : the Do's and Taboos of Body Language around the World. New York: Wiley, 1998.
[REF BF637 .N66 A88 1998]
- Language and Communication: a Cross-Cultural Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO,
1998.[REF P29 .F47 1998]
- Guide to Culturally Competent Care. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis CO, 2005.
[REF RA418.5 .T73 P87 2005]
- International Handbook on Gender Roles. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1993.
[REF HQ1075 .I58 1993]
WARFARE & CONFLICT
- Chemical and Biological Warfare : a Reference Handbook. Santa Barbara, CA : ABC-CLIO,
2003. [REF UG447.8 .M33 2003]
- Encyclopedia of Conflict Resolution. Santa Barbara, CA ABC CLIO, 1997
[REF HM136 .B783 1997]
- Encyclopedia of Conflicts Since World War II. Armonk, NY : Sharpe Reference, 1999.
[REF D843 .C568 1999]
- Encyclopedia of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson Gale,
2005. [REF HV6322.7 .E532 1005]
- Encyclopedia of Prisoners of War and Internment. Millerton, NY : Grey House Pub., 2006.
[REF UB800 .E53 2006]
- Wars and Peace Treaties : 1816-1991. New York : Routledge, 1992. [REF D361 .G65 1992]
- World Conflict. Jefferson, NC : McFarland, 2002. [REF D214 .C54 2002]
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. [REF DESK BF76.7 .P82 2001]
The following databases allow you to search for journal articles and reports on a broad spectrum of topics relating to the study of disaster, crisis, and risk management.
Academic Search PremierProvides journal coverage for most academic areas of study - including biological sciences, communications, political science, and medical sciences.
Communication & Mass Media Complete Provides access to periodicals related to communication and mass media.
CQ ResearcherCongressional Quarterly Inc. provides objective, non-partisan political and authoritative reporting on Congress and politics.
CountryWatchProvides critical intelligence and data on on all 190 countries recognized by the U.S. Dept. of State. Also includes CountryWire, a daily international news service.
Health and Wellness Resource CenterSearches magazines, journals, newspapers, definitions, directories, and information on a wide variety of topics related to health, diseases, public health, and treatments.
Lexis Nexis Academic UniverseContains full text articles from business, medical, and news information sources, and United States statutes, laws and case opinions back to the 1770s.
MedlineCompiled by the U.S. Department of Medicine, Medline provides citations and abstracts for research in the life and biomedical sciences.
Multimedia Archive/Associated Press (AP)Contains 700,000+ photos and descriptions from AP's photo archive. Searchable by date, event, or keyword. Access limited to two simultaneous users.
PAIS InternationalDatabase chronicling global public policy and social issues.
Covers all topics from 3,000+ scholarly journals, magazines &newspapers - with full text and images.
PsycINFO Produced by the APA, this database contains almost 2 million references to psychological literature from the 1800s-present, from journal articles, books, book chapters, technical reports, and dissertations.
ScienceDirect Contains 707 scholarly full-text scientific and medical journals. Also contanis journals in the social and psychological sciences.
Social Services Abstract Coverage of current research focused on social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community development.
Sociological AbstractsCovers the latest research in the fields of sociology, social sciences and related disciplines. Abstracts and enhanced citations are available for over 1,640 journals, monographs, conference papers and dissertations.
- Web Based Resources
The following web sites are from government and non-government organizations that provide information and services relevant to Disaster Studies. They were selected from the Librarians' Internet Index (http://lii.org)
and Appendix E from Disaster Mental Health: Theory and Practice, by James Halpern and Mary Tramontin, published by Thomson Brook/Cole in 2007. [STACKS RC 451.4 D57 2007]
DISASTER MANAGEMENT & PREPAREDNESS
Disaster Recovery Institute International
The Disaster Recovery Institute promotes knowledge in contingency planning and the management of risk.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Current disaster news, storm watches, disaster assistance, mitigation, preparedness, flood insurance, and photographs and video clips of disasters.
This is a home guide to prepare for natural disasters, from the official website of U.S. Senator from California Barbara Boxer.
Interpol Disaster Victim Identification
The International Police Organization offers detailed procedures for handling disasters and the identification of victims.
MedlinePlus: Disaster Preparation and Recovery
Extensive information from the National Institutes of Health on emergency preparedness, coping information, law and policy.
National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration/Office of Response and Restoration
NOAA's Office of Response and Restoration protects coastal and marine resources, mitigates threats, reduces harm, and restores ecological function.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security - DisasterHelp
Disaster related news for citizens, emergency responders, and government officials, from the Department of Homeland Security.
U.S. Department of Labor Natural Disaster Assistance Programs
Information about services and programs available to workers following a natural disaster.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency/Office of Emergency Management (CEPPO)
Risk management, preparedness and prevention for chemical accidents and oil spills.
U.S. Office of Personnel Management - Post-Disaster Guidance and Other Information
Information provided to help in the aftermath of terrorist attacks and other traumatic events. Includes a FAQ about benefits for victims of terrorist attacks, and a list of organizations assisting in disaster relief efforts.
DISASTER SERVICES & RELIEF
American Red Cross
Each year, the American Red Cross responds immediately to more than 70,000 disasters. Their site contains news, press releases, FAQs, and information on disaster preparedness, post-disaster dangers, giving blood, services for military members and families, and more.
Architects Without Borders
A non-governmental, not-for-profit, volunteer humanitarian relief organization committed to helping communities develop self-directed sustainable recovery and reconstruction programs after economic crises, natural disasters, and human conflicts.
Doctors Without Borders
In disaster situations, Doctors Without Borders provides health care, runs hospitals and clinics, performs surgery, battles epidemics, carries out vaccination campaigns, operates feeding centers for malnourished children, and offers mental health care.
Help for Hurricane Victims: Information on Tax Relief, Charitable Issues
Internal Revenue Service information for locating reputable and qualified hurricane charities, discussion of "special tax relief for taxpayers residing in the Presidential Disaster Areas struck by Katrina."
InterAction: American Council for Voluntary International Action
InterAction is an alliance of 160 U.S.-based international development and humanitarian nongovernmental organizations.
International Organization for Migration
This inter-governmental organization in the field of migration works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners to help the management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for solutions to migration problems, and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
International Rescue Committee
Helps people fleeing racial, religious and ethnic persecution, as well as those uprooted by war and violence. Features listings of reports, books, and online resources about refugees and relief work.
National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
NVOAD coordinates planning efforts by many volunteer organizations responding to disaster.
Refugees International generates lifesaving humanitarian assistance and protection for displaced people around the world, and works to end the conditions that create displacement.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Disasters and Emergencies
Information about emergency medical shelters, volunteer opportunities for health care professionals, and other services provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
U.S. Department of Justice Office For Victims of Crime
U.S. Department of Labor Natural Disaster Assistance Programs
Information and resources for victims of crime, including international victims.
Information about services and programs available to workers following a natural disaster.
MEDIA & JOURNALISM
The Center for International Disaster Information
The Center for International Disaster Information provides members of the media and the general public information about international disaster relief efforts.
The Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma
"The Dart Center is a global network of journalists, journalism educators and health professionals dedicated to improving media coverage of trauma, conflict and tragedy. The Center also addresses the consequences of such coverage for those working in journalism."
The Institute for War and Peace Reporting
This institute is dedicated to conflict resolution and democratic societies. It provides news, special reports, analysis, and media monitoring.
The Media Alliance
The Media Alliance is a nonprofit resource center for media workers, community organizations, and political activists, with the mission to promote excellence, ethics, diversity, and accountability in all aspects of the media in the interests of peace, justice, and social responsibility.
APA - American Psychological Association
Web site for the world's largest association of psychologists, working to advance the study of human behavior.
The Anxiety Disorders Association of America
"The Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote the prevention, treatment and cure of anxiety disorders.
Healthy Minds.org - American Psychiatric Association
Information from the American Psychiatric Association about mental health, terrorist alert anxiety, postpartum depression, effects of media violence, and coping with natural disasters.
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
"ISTSS is an international multidisciplinary, professional membership organization that promotes advancement and exchange of knowledge about severe stress and trauma."
International Trauma-Healing Institute
The International Trauma-Healing Institute is a non-profit organization that "promotes peace at the community, national, and international level by bringing awareness to trauma as a root cause of suffering, conflict and violence and to the resources available for trauma's resolution and healing."
National Association of Social Workers
"The NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound social policies."
National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - PILOTS Database
The PILOTS database is a U. S. Department of Veterans sponsored index to worldwide literature on post-traumatic stress disorder and other mental-health consequences of exposure to traumatic events.
National Institute of Mental Health
The NIMH is the leading Federal agency for research on mental and behavioral disorders. Their site offers information about depression, anxiety and panic disorders, and other illnesses.
U.S. Department of Health & Human Service Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration Disaster Relief Organization
Resources for managing anxiety in a time of crisis.
Council for Foreign Relations
The Council on Foreign Relations is an independent, national membership organization and a nonpartisan center for scholars dedicated to promoting understanding of foreign policy and the role of the United States in the world. The web site serves as a portal to primary documents, background and news analysis needed to understand terrorism, globalization, ethnic and national struggles, and other international events.
U.S. Department of State Country Reports on Terrorism
Annual reports from the Secretary of State about "developments in countries in which acts of terrorism occurred, countries that are state sponsors of terrorism, and countries determined by the Secretary to be of particular interest in the global war on terror."
WORLD HEALTH INFORMATION
Pan American Health Organization
The PAO is the regional office for the Americas of the World Health Organization.
The United Nations Children's Fund promotes the health, education, equality, and protection of the world's children. They provide emergency humanitarian assistance and partner with governmental and non-governmental organizations to maintain a global health presence.
World Health Information
The World Health Organization is the United Nations specialized agency for health.
Our Library Catalog - SUNY New Paltz
Other SUNY Libraries
Southeastern NY Libraries
The following is a selective list of terminology that can be used when searching library catalogs for books and other resources related to Disaster Studies:
Disaster Mental Health|
Disaster Relief ||
Emergency Food Assistance||
Emergency Housing ||
Food Relief||Human Rights
Mental Health Counseling|
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder||
Response and Recovery|
School Crisis Management||
Victims of Terrorism||