Fast Facts about Sojourner Truth Library
What everyone wants to know about the library
The Library is named in honor of Sojourner Truth, a freed slave from Ulster County, whose outstanding speaking ability and advocacy on behalf of freedom made her a prominent figure during the Civil War period. In 1970, the SUNY Board of Trustees approved this name, which had been recommended by a committee of faculty, students, and administrators at New Paltz College.
A High-Tech Library with Traditional Services
- 500,000 books & bound periodicals
- Partial depository of U.S. & NYS government documents
- Electronic resources:
- 150+ online research databases
- Online access to 60,000 journals, magazines, newspapers, as well as business and financial date
- E-book collections over 75,000 titles.
- Online reference tools: encyclopedias & dictionaries,
- Multiple source searching and full-text linking technology
- Reference help at the Information Desk
- AskUs 24/7 chat reference service
- LibAnswers: search FAQs, Email, Text or Tweet a librarian
- Course-related or course embedded library instruction
- Individual & group library instruction by appointment
Library Systems & Equipment
- Online STL Catalog
- Online book renewals & fine payment
- Electronic course reserves via Blackboard
- 80 student computers
- Four Networked printers (One is color)
- 7 Group Study Rooms with Large Shared Touch-screen displays
- CD players, video & DVD viewing stations, Blu-ray players and Microsoft Office 2010
- WiFi access and wireless printing
- Microform scanner & viewer-printer
- Document & book scanners for public use
- Latest @ the Library (newsletter)
- STL web site : library.newpaltz.edu
- Follow us on Facebook & Twitter & Instagram (@SUNYNPlibrary)
The Library Top Ten
- Library services: Information Desk, Check-out Desk, and Reserves, located on the top floor.
- Library collection of 500,000 books and 700 + print journal titles, plus electronic access to 60,000 journals and 60,000 + e-books.
- Laptops & iPads for loan at the Check-out desk. Wireless network and scanners are available.
- Research help available at the Information Desk seven days a week.
- Research help by appointment (Research Consultations).
- Library open seven days a week, with late night study room hours.
- STL web site offers online reference help: LibAnswers & Ask Us 24/7, that are available anywhere.
- Research skills taught in STL’s smart classroom.
- Ask a Librarian site links to a searchable FAQ database, and the Text a Librarian service.
- ILLiad electronic interlibrary loan service can obtain materials from other libraries at no cost.