Guidelines for Using Special Collections
Registration and Orientation
- All patrons wishing to use Special Collections (SC) must complete the front page of this form.
- All materials must be viewed at the SC Table behind the Reference Desk.
- To assist in the preservation of books and documents, all researchers must handle materials carefully.
- All briefcases, purses, and backpacks are to be placed on the shelves near the SC Table.
- To preserve our unique materials, food and beverages are strictly prohibited.
- Notes are to be taken in pencil only. Researchers may use laptops in the Reading Area.
- Scanning of materials is prohibited without permission. Researchers may use their smart phones to take photos of materials.
- Researchers will use one set of materials at a time, and will be careful to maintain their original sequence.
Publication, Citation, and Copyright
- Researchers who plan to publish or exhibit original material from Special Collections must obtain written permission from the Dean of the Sojourner Truth Library.
- Each use of materials must be accompanied by proper credit to: Special Collections, Sojourner Truth Library, State University of New York at New Paltz.
- Sojourner Truth Library assumes no responsibility for infringement of copyright. The researcher is responsible for obtaining the necessary copyright clearance and publication rights for all materials.