Guidelines for Using Special Collections
Registration and Orientation
- All patrons wishing to use Special Collections must complete the first page of this form.
- All materials must be viewed in the private Reading Area adjacent to Current Periodicals.
- To assist in the preservation of books and documents, all researchers must handle materials carefully.
Reading Room Procedures
- All briefcases, purses, and backpacks are to be placed on the floor in the Reading Area.
- To preserve our unique materials, food and beverages are strictly prohibited.
- Notes are to be taken in pencil only. Researchers may use laptops in the Reading Area.
- Photocopying/Scanning of materials is prohibited without permission.
- Researchers will use one set of materials at a time, and will be careful to maintain their original sequence.
Publication, Citation, and Copyright
- Researchers who plan to publish or exhibit original material from Special Collections must seek written permission from the Dean of the Sojourner Truth Library.
- Each use of materials must be accompanied by proper credit to Special Collections/Sojourner Truth Library, SUNY New Paltz.
- Special Collections assumes no responsibility for infringement of copyright. The researcher is responsible for obtaining the necessary copyright clearance and publication rights for all materials.