Timeline 1828 – 1913

“It was summer, 1836. Andrew Jackson was President of the United States. William L. Marcy was Governor of the State of New York. Electric telegraphs, telephones, electric lights, and kindred conveniences were unknown. Railroads were few and far between. A horse that could trot a mile in three minutes was then considered a prodigy. Mr. Eliphaz Fay was chorister of the Dutch Reformed Church and Principal of the Academy. The school was but three years old, a toddler in years, but a giant, even then, in influence.”

The Huguenot, Vol. II, No. 3, Dec. 21, 1883, “Old Times in New Paltz. By a Student of ’47,”pp. 14-15.

1828 New Paltz Classical School founded

1833 New Paltz Academy incorporated

1840 New Paltz Academy enlarged

1883 New Paltz Academy Trustees consider a second enlargement

1884 New Paltz Academy destroyed by fire

1885 Rebuilding campaign by trustees and local citizens a success

1885 Newly raised building accepted by the state as New Paltz Normal

1886 Eugene Bouton appointed first principal of the Normal School

1889 New Paltz Normal enlarged

1889 Frank S. Capen succeeds Bouton to become the school’s second principal

1899 Myron T. Scudder succeeds Capen to become the school’s third principal

1900 New Paltz Normal implements an experimental “school city”program

1901 Cuban students arrive for study at New Paltz Normal

1906 New Paltz Normal destroyed by fire

1907 A new Main Building is constructed on the present hilltop campus

1908 Principal John C. Bliss heads the new Normal School on the hill

1911 New Paltz Normal celebrates its 25th anniversary

 

Timeline 1914 – 1961

“The thud of marching feet mingled with the sound of hammers, for America was in the war in 1917, and the high school boys were drilling and marching with wooden guns. Attendance dropped off, school activities slackened, and Red Cross work and patriotic endeavors were paramount in student interest.”

The Paltzonette, Vol. XI, No. 8, May 15, 1938, “From Academy, to Normal School, to College?”pp. 6-9,18-19.

1917 Auditorium added to the Main Building (present day Studley Theatre)

1923 Normal School curriculum expanded to a three year program

1923 Dr. Lawrence H. van den Berg becomes the fifth principal of New Paltz Normal

1932 Completion of the Lawrence H. van den Berg School of Practice (Campus School)

1938 A four year curriculum is instituted

1942 School authorized to grant Bachelor of Science degree in teaching

1942 New Paltz Normal becomes the State Teachers College at New Paltz

1943 Principal van den Berg assumes the first presidency of the college

1944 Dr. William J. Haggerty becomes the second president of the college

1947Graduate courses leading to Master’s degree introduced

1948 State University of New York established

1951 New Paltz adds Art Education degree to its programs

1957 College acquires 220 acre Ashokan Field Campus

1959 College’s name changed to State University College of Education at New Paltz

1960 College authorized to grant Bachelor of Arts degree in liberal arts

1961 New Paltz Normal celebrates its 75th anniversary (Diamond Jubilee)

Timeline 1962 – 2002

“In May 1964, we are happy to dedicate those facilities which have already been constructed as part of the Master Plan for New Paltz, to provide cornerstone laying and other ceremonies for those new buildings which are now under construction, and to look ahead to future Campus construction plans, all of which implement significant curricular development at the College.”

– William J. Haggerty, President Convocation and Inauguration of New Facilities, May 13-17, 1964, “Excerpt from President’s Greeting”p. 2.

1962 SUNY Construction Fund established ($1 billion)

1964 President Haggerty announces Master Building Plan ($30 million)

1965 Construction begins on Academic Concourse

1966 Faculty unionizes – joins the American Federation of Teachers

1966 President Haggerty resigns after 22 years of service to the college

1968 Dr. Neumaier becomes the third president of the college

1968 Equal Opportunity Program admits its first 20 students

1969 Black Studies Department formed

1969 Haggerty era construction completed (Dorm complexes and Academic Concourse)

1970 College Senate proposed (accepted as Academic Senate in 1974)

1970 Student Strike (occupation of Main Building)

1971 General education requirement dropped by the college

1971 Experimental Studies program formed (renamed Innovative Studies in 1975)

1972 Administration and Student Union Buildings opened

1972 President Neumaier resigns after four years

1973 Dr. Coffman becomes the fourth president of the college

1973 Women’s Studies program established

1974 Summer Repertory Theatre Program established

1976 The College at New Paltz Foundation is established

1976 Asian and African Studies majors abolished

1979 President Coffman retires after seven years

1979 Dr. Chandler becomes the fifth president of the college

1980 Computer Science program established

1980 Nursing program established

1980 Campus School closed

1984 Engineering program established

1987 Journalism and Accounting programs established

1992 Campus reacts to PCB incident

1993 General education curriculum reinstated

1994 Hopfer Alumni Center opened

1994 Fine Arts II and College Terrace Buildings opened

1994 Campus renamed State University of New York at New Paltz

1995 Piano Summer Institute formed at New Paltz

1995 President Chandler retires after sixteen years

1996 Dr. Bowen becomes the sixth president of the college

1997 Women’s Studies Conference draws national attention

1997 Resnick Engineering Hall opened

2000 MBA program established

2000 Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art opened

2001 Esopus Residence Hall opened

2001 President Bowen resigns after five years

Modified 2018-04-19