Guidelines for Submission of Master’s Theses to the Library
Directions, requirements, and restrictions that pertain to the department in which master’s degree level research is carried forward are available in that department. As departmental requirements may exceed those of the Library, the candidate must consult with his or her thesis committee before preparing the thesis manuscript.
Note: In the case of multiple authors collaborating on a single thesis, each author must submit the full text of the thesis along with their own DSpace Release Form.
I. FORMAT REQUIREMENTS
- 1) The thesis should be submitted as a single PDF, including the title and thesis approval pages.
2) The DSpace Release Form is to be signed, scanned, and submitted as a separate PDF.
- Standard 1-inch margins on all sides.
- Double-spaced, with a 12-point font.
- Signature / Title page:
- Due to privacy concerns, please type the names of your committee members on the page traditionally known as the “signature page” but do not include actual signatures. Please see sample title and signature pages attached.
- Pagination must be correct (each page numbered). The main text is preceded by the title page and thesis approval page. Theses must be approved and the DSpace Release Form signed by committee members before the library will accept them.
II. PROCEDURES FOR DEPOSIT OF THESES WITH THE LIBRARY
- Your thesis and DSpace Release Form should be emailed to the following address:
- The Library Collection Management Team must notify the Records and Registration Office that the approved thesis and signed DSpace Release Form have been received before the degree will be granted.
- Students have the right to opt-out from submitting their work to DSpace. For more information, or for other assistance with thesis submission, please contact contact the DSpace administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Metadata Librarian Madeline Veitch at (845) 257-3774.
Note: if you are interested in purchasing a bound copy of your thesis, Acme Bookbinding in Hatfield, Pennsylvania provides this service for a fee.
I. FORMAT REQUIREMENTS
- MFA Electronic Thesis Approval Form (this must be printed, signed, scanned, and uploaded through DSpace)
- One single PDF document, which shall include:
- Cover page
- Complete text of your thesis
- Accompanying images
- Any other elements (artists’ statement, resume) as desired or prescribed by your program
II. PROCEDURES FOR DEPOSIT OF MFA THESES IN DSPACE
- Following the guidelines outlined in our MFA DSpace guide, login to the SUNY Digital Respository (DSpace) to submit your thesis and electronic thesis approval form.
- If you receive an email from the DSpace administrator requesting a change or addition to your submission, please log back in to make any edits or additions. The Library must certify to the Records and Registration Office that the thesis has been fully accepted before the degree will be granted; please make any necessary changes promptly.
- Upon written request your thesis may be withheld from public access for up to 18 months after the degree is granted.
- If you have additional questions or require assistance, please contact the DSpace administrator at email@example.com or call Metadata Librarian Madeline Veitch at (845) 257-3774.