Library Instruction Request Form
Library Instruction Program
The Sojourner Truth Library instruction program partners with academic departments, programs, and campus services to advance student academic success and lifelong learning. We embrace the Alexandria Proclamation on Information Literacy and Lifelong Learning which states:
- Information Literacy lies at the core of lifelong learning. It empowers people in all walks of life to seek, evaluate, use and create information effectively to achieve their personal, social, occupational and educational goals. It is a basic human right in a digital world and promotes social inclusion of all nations. IFLA
Working collaboratively across campus, we prepare students to think critically about the information they encounter and information they create inside and outside of the classroom. We embrace student-centered and collaborative teaching philosophies to empower students to navigate an increasingly complex information landscape. We create tailored instruction to support specific courses, assignments, and cohorts.
Point of Need Instruction
Research shows that point of need instruction is more effective than generalized instruction. Please schedule your library instruction session(s) for a class period after you plan to review your research assignment with students. Ideally, students will have a topic in mind at the time of their session.
We are excited to collaborate with you on your instruction session(s). Please communicate with the librarian beforehand to discuss your assignment and determine learning outcomes for your session(s). Please tell the librarian before your session if you need to hand back assignments or make course announcements.
Librarians plan sessions and create learning outcomes based on designated class times, assignments, and communication with you. Please ensure you and your students are prepared for the library instruction session(s).
In order for us to plan the best learning experience for students, the library instruction program has the following policies:
- A minimum of two weeks advance notice is required to schedule a library instruction session. We encourage you to send in your request as early as possible to secure your preferred dates.
- We require your research assignment and syllabus to be in hand at least two weeks in advance of your scheduled session(s). This allows us to align our work in the classroom with your student learning goals.
- Instructors are expected to accompany and remain with their classes during the session. Your participation demonstrates value to students and typically provides for a more engaged experience.
STL18 Classroom Policies
STL18 is a library space and has the following policies:
- STL18 is reserved for librarian led instruction. All sessions will be scheduled at the discretion of the Library's Instruction Program Coordinator.
- STL18 cannot be reserved as a regular classroom space or as a meeting space. The library's conference room M39 may be reserved for non-recurring meetings and events by contacting the Dean's Office. Please review the Library's Event Space policy.
- To reserve campus classroom space for recurring use, please contact the registrar's office.
To schedule instruction
Complete the form below, using a separate form for each class and section, and submit.
We look forward to working with you and your students.
Whenever possible upload your syllabus and research assignment using the choose file button at the bottom of this form.
If you have questions about the library instruction program please contact the Instruction Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fields marked with * are required