Resources and Services for Students with Disabilities
Services and Equipment in the library:
We endeavor to make all library services available to all eligible patrons.
What we Have & What we Do for ADA Accessibility in Library Technology
- All library PCs have Read&Write accessibility software by TextHelp. Read&Write is a powerful tool with many useful features to assist and support access to online and digital content, such as screen reader – selecting and reading aloud parts of the screen; and PDF image-to-text converter – converting PDF image to PDF text that can be read by screen readers.
- The library bought a campus-wide license for Read&Write that includes staff and student PCs with a downloadable install, and accessibility on mobile computing devices, e.g., iPads and tablets.
- We post and maintain basic instructions for using Read&Write, and online download installation instructions for students and staff on their computing devices.
- The new Library website launched in January 2018 complies with all NYS accessibility standards.
- We are in a continuous process of correcting and improving all our online access portals and content to comply with NYS accessibility standards by checking pages on all sites and clearing up any accessibility issues as needed.
In Case of FIRE
Persons with hearing impairments should let Checkout Desk know that you are in the building.
Fire alarm is audible and visual. Go to nearest exit on same floor.
If you don’t hear the alarm, a library fire Marshall will locate you and assist you from the building.
Special Services and Assistance Available:
- Students in need of assistance in the library should identify themselves at the Front Desk
- Research Consultation with a Librarian by appointment https://library.newpaltz.edu/consultation.php
- Elevator located near the Library Concourse entrance for access to the main floor.
- Elevator in the Microform/Media Room for access to the stacks.
- Rest rooms available on all floors, the easiest to use are on the ground level and in the main floor lobby.
- Group study room on the main floor, and Individual Study Rooms on the Concourse and Ground levels.
- Library café and snack area with vending machines.
- Stapler, hole punch, scissors available at Front Desk.
Request These Services at Their Respective Locations:
Research Help Desk
Note: Every public PC in the reference area has Microsoft basic screen magnification software available through a shortcut on the desktop.